Old 27-01-2010, 03:51 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default The Fruit Cage

FarmI wrote:

It is interesting to see the seasonal variation that you get.

It is indeed. I love nearly all the wildlife (except snakes) but
they can sure be a real pain in the bum for gardeners.

You can
understand why people speak of 'plagues' of things. I mean other
than the really obvious plagues such as locusts.

Right now I have a plague of mites in my chookpen. Truly,
horrifyingly disgusting. I've had to move the 2 remaining chooks and
thier one chicken into a temporaray pen or they'd be eaten alive. I'm
going into the old pen cleaning and fumigating covered in Bushman
Repellant and then climbing fully clothed into the shower. It gives
me the itches just thinking about it.

As a boy (strictly a city boy then) I was sent to catch some chooks and to
put them into a new pen. When I came back with my skin crawling nobody
would come near me, they all thought it was a hoot.

BTW, We've used Molasses and water in the vineyard to stop the
grasshoppers and it seems to have worked.

That's interesting I have some of them right now. How do you do it? What
effect does the 'lasses have?

A new tomato cultivar, yellow pear, is proving a winner as a salad
vege. They are about 4cm long and yellow when ripe and shaped like a
pear (duh!).

I don't know those. Did you plant them from seed and if so, where
did you get the seed?

I am not 100% sure but it could have been Diggers Club, their catalog is on
their web site.

David