Old 29-01-2010, 08:14 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Muddymike Muddymike is offline

Default Leylandii for burning?

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"Muddymike" wrote in message
om...

"Rusty Hinge" wrote in
message ...
Steve Firth wrote:

Yew is a conifer.

And burns like asbestos...

--
Rusty

I have a 10ft long 15 to 20 inch diameter yew trunk I
scavenged from the woods next door when they were cleared last
year.
Still debating whether to cut it up for logs or offer it to a
wood turner. Yew does make for a very good fire.

Mike

Yew is so slow growing it's worth quite a lot. In your
position I would sell it. You can use the money to buy far
more wood for burning than you would get from the yew.

Anyone want to buy a yew trunk ?

I looked on Ebay and woodturning blanks just 2 inched thick of
the diameter I have are selling for several pounds!!! But what
makes for a "woodturning blank" ?

Mike