Old 30-01-2010, 08:25 AM posted to aus.gardens
John Savage John Savage is offline

Default Lettuce growing.

"Rod Speed" writes:
John Savage wrote:
three times in hot weather at least,

I'm currently finding that twice a day keeps the soil moist.

EXposed to scorching heat, the roots can't draw sufficient water to over-
come losses. So the only way you can reduce the plant's stress is to
keep the leaves moist by periodic sprinkling from noon till 2, or
something like that, in addition to morning and evening watering.

I prefer the iceberg style lettuce for cutting a wedge
of the heart when eating pizza and quiche etc.

There is no lettuce sweeter or better tasting, than the iceberg.

I've since gone for bird netting because the blackbirds were
getting half the strawberrys. I do get lots of sparrows.

I've never lived where where there were blackbirds. It would be 12 or
so years since I've last seen a sparrow here in Sydney, probably a
combination of Indian Mynahs shouldering in and taking over their
nesting spots and the proliferation of urban currawongs predating
on nestling sparrows.

For "always fresh" leaves you can buy a hydroponic lettuce from the
supermarket, then sit it in a bowl of water near a bright window and
pick off 3 or 4 leaves each day. Could even try planting it in wet
soil to see whether it won't grow a bit more while you're harvesting.

Didnt think of that, I'll try that. None of them in my supermarkets
have any roots tho, they are always cut off flush with the icebergs.

Probably your best bet. I see them in the gourmet or organic section.
No firm heart, partly wrapped in cellophane to keep the roots moist
I think.

Alternative greens include nasturtium and water-cress (both a bit
peppery), mustard and cress (but attractive to aphids), celery (eat the
tender leaves of young plants), various sprouts you can grow in a
bottle. Maybe the native warrigal greens, but I haven't tried. Pig weed
is edible. None of these can compare with lettuce, though.

Havent been buying the non icebergs, have to have a closer look at
those.

None are as sweet as a good iceberg. When you buy young lettuce
without a heart, you can eat the lot; whereas with the hearted ones
I seem to end up discarding half the plant by throwing away the bitter
'outside' leaves.