Old 30-01-2010, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pond Ice

In article ,
Martin wrote:
On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 11:25:24 -0000, "shazzbat"
wrote:

Neither do I, but I've heard it on the radio at least twice during the
recent cold weather. And when you think of it, nature doesn't put holes in
the ice, and nature usually knows what it's doing.

Nature has covered frozen Dutch canals with snow and the fish have been killed
by the resulting lack of oxygen.

Yes. The saying that nature knows best is old, but it has come to
prominence with the New Age cutie-cutie approach. A much more
accurate one is "Nature, red in tooth and claw". That doesn't
apply to just competition, but mere survival.

Very small, shallow ponds are natural, but fish are NOT natural
inhabitants of them. In nature, fish that end up in such things
following floods, almost always end up dead in short order - eaten
by a heron, suffocated by lack of oxygen or whatever.

Nature doesn't care. Darwinism doesn't predict that fish will
adapt to such things, as they aren't important enough to influence
evolution.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.