Old 30-01-2010, 08:52 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Houseman Doug  Houseman is offline

Default Kill stump

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Higgs Boson wrote:
I am having two large evergreen bushes removed. They
were standing on each side of my front walk. I intend
to put large decorative pots in their place with appropriate plants.
(Suggestions welcome -mini-climate is So. Calif coastal)

What's the fastest way to kill the stumps (approx 10-12" diameter)?

Last time I dealt with a stump, decades ago, one was supposed to
buy a chemical and introduce it via holes bored in the stump.

Gardener just told me to use gasoline.

Any information out there on (a) fastest and (b) most effective,
and maybe (c) least expensive way. (though that's not the deciding
factor ).

Persephone

Fastest is hire a bloke with a stump grinder. In half an hour they will be
turned into shavings that you can use as mulch. Stay out of the way these
are fearsome beasties.

Medium, drill the stumps and pour straight glyphosate into the holes. But
then once they are dead what will you do with the dead stumps?

Is the gasoline supposed to burn them up or poison them? I don't see it
being very effective in either mode with a thick stump.

David

compost start - a bacterial mixture available at many garden stores (not
big boxes) poured into 3/4 inch in diameter holes with a bit of your
favorite - liquid fertilizer added will normally start a fast rot on the
stump. Drill the holes so them run at least 3 or 4 inches below the
ground. Wait 12 to 16 weeks and us a large bar to break apart the
pieces. Works every time for me. I have over 700 pine trees on the
property and have to remove 4 or 5 stumps every year - some as big as 20
inches in diameter (They take a year to break down).

If the stumps are big enough drill your holes in an "X" pattern so it
will come apart into easy pieces. If you don't go deep enough, the top
of the remainder will be above the ground.

Gasoline and holes - only results in charing the stump, which slows
decomp.