Old 30-01-2010, 09:50 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Kill stump

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 16:05:56 -0500, Bill who putters
wrote:

I had two well established Korean hollies that were wonderful but they
happened to get the most of the rare sun here. I cut them off. Drove
in a few copper nails. Still every year I get to kill the suckers by
cutting. It has been about ten years and the sucker growth appears to
be slowing. But somehow if I am remiss the hollies will be back Iąd
guess with a vengence.

When I moved here there were two huge hollies blocking the view at my
rear deck (over 15 feet tall and nearly as wide). I started to prune
them back but ended up cutting them down and it was no biggie to dig
up the stumps... there was no tap root and the side roots were not too
big to lop off, was just light digging, they never grew back. I would
suggest that if you remove the central root portion your hollies will
not grow back.