Old 31-01-2010, 12:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes[_2_] June Hughes[_2_] is offline

Default Seed planting

In message , Sacha
writes

In article , Sacha
On 2010-01-31 00:23:32 +0000, Rusty Hinge
said:
CorporalJones wrote:
OK it is nearly February, are there any seeds that I should be getting
underway now, thinking of the greenhouse which is heated, like to grow
veg, toms, cucumbers, peppers etc.
This month for chitting potatoes in the cold (but not freezing),
planting tomato, pepper, chilli seeds etc.
I expect there are plenty more. End of Feb I try to remember to
plant
beans in pots.
Cucurbits you can leave for a while.
Ray planted tomatoes a while ago and they're about 4" tall.
International Kidney are being chitted, too! ;-)

That's okay for you! I won't be planting ANYTHING for some weeks,
even if the weather warms up, because I can get stranded with
over-large plants inside and weather that will kill them outside.
Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

We know we're cushy! The tomatoes are in the propagating house which
is the warm one and of course it's doing what it's made for with regard
to the toms! I wonder when Derek in Jersey will be sowing his Jersey
Sunrise! Once they're big enough, Ray puts compost bags all down the
side of that house and plants the toms in those. So far, he has 17
plants which will also produce toms for the tea room, we hope!

I really enjoyed seeing your nursery whilst we were on holiday and was
surprised that people could walk through the growing areas without
restriction. I am sure that encourages them to buy more but most garden
centres (which I know yours is not) tend to have some of their growing
places as no-go areas. I also enjoyed the fact that there you are
walking through all these interesting plants when suddenly you come
across a little churchyard, which is charming. (looking back, I was so
surprised, I wonder whether or not I dreamed it afterwards).

Strangely enough, the place we visit here is quite open too but that is
a garden centre with all sorts of kitchen stuff and things people don't
need to buy besides plants etc.
--
June Hughes