Old 31-01-2010, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
rjbl rjbl is offline

Default Clay soil:

Me-G wrote:
My garden has seen a lot of trampling by tradesmen over the past few
years. Retaining walls were destroyed, weeds, especially docks
flourished and, it seems, all draining material was washed away. The
garden is like a solid mass of clay.

Those responsible have agreed to "sort" the problem. They did dig it ov
er but the first heavy rain flattened it leaving puddles which didn't
drain for ages but did wash teh earth onto my paths: yewk: constant
cleaning and, as clay sticky so perpetually dragged through house.

They said they'd sort the drainage problem by digging in course sand.
However, I read somewhere that this would only serve to turn the clay to
a cement. It suggested that loam would also need to be incorporated
with the sand.

Can anyone advise on this?

The other matter is that they say they can't do that work just now as
it's a job for the Spring. Problem I see is that I will want it ready
for planting in Spring and given the lack of speed with which they work,
they could well call Summer, Spring. How early, ground being
sufficiently soft for digging of course, can I stipulate as a last date
for fixing.

I would have thought we'd want the last frosts to help break up the
earth to further help with drainage.

(Not really confident about using capitals at season names: dyslexia
rules KO!.)

All help on these matters gratefully received and much appreciated.

Get the drainage right, of course. Dig in a lot of limestone ballast /
limestone dust (if you can get it from your local builders merchant)
Takes several full seasons to work but the effect lasts for a very, very
long time (like decades and centuries). A cheap, more instant, fix is to
dig in alot of builder's plaster - its the same gypsum as you can buy at
10x the price at your local garden centre.

Good luck!

RJBL