Old 31-01-2010, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge[_2_] Rusty Hinge[_2_] is offline

Default Victoria Plum scions; help wanted

David WE Roberts wrote:

"redonda" wrote in message
Could anyone help me with some scions (small twigs for grafting) of a
Victoria Plum? I am gardening in Italy where we have some plum trees
which bear uneatable fruit.

I suspect they were at one time the rootstock of Apricots, of which
the Apricot part has died.

The victoria plum seems to be unknown in Italy; I would like to try
grafting it onto the plum rootstock.

I can offer a weekend B&B for free in Tuscany as a reward for anyone
who can supply the scions.

Joseph

Isn't this the wrong time of year to be doing 'stuff' with plums?
I thought you were only supposed to prune etc. between about May and
September when actively growing so that any wounds could heal.

Don't have a Victoria any more, but know where one is (our old garden).

Well, actually it's a little late.

One cuts the scions off, a bit longer than you intend using, after the
leaves have dopped, and heel them in. Then, before the buds burst, (for
apples, early April, dunno bout plums) you dig them up, trim to length
and cut the graft.

Bind the join tightly and seal, with insulating tape, grafting tape,
cord, etc, then cover with wax.

I use a mixtue of beeswax and the wax some cheeses ae covered with.

--
Rusty