Old 31-01-2010, 09:55 PM posted to rec.gardens
ntantiques ntantiques is offline

Default Herbs and Deer

On Jan 23, 5:52*am, mj wrote:
Are there Herbs that will deter Deer from the garden?

MJ

Ok, without a doubt, a tall, sturdy fence is most effective, but if a
fence doesn't work well into a landscaping plan there are herbs that
can help deter the megamunchers.

We bought a large rural property that came with a herd of deer who bed
down in the woods directly behind the house. The first year we were
here we thought they were charming...then they ate their way through a
few hundred dollars worth of perennials & annuals I'd lovingly added
to the front yard.

Everyone's deer are different, but over time I've discovered that if I
surround most of my flowering plants with Rosemary, Lavender and
creeping Lime Thyme, the deer leave them alone. Think big - larger
herbs will exude more deer repelling scent while providing wonderful
contrast to vulnerable specimens. Exceptions are roses and tulips -
deer candy.

I also learned to lean heavily on annuals like marigolds and zinnias
which my deer ignore completely. Daffodils & Iris of any kind are
safe and as well as tough perennials like Shasta Daisies and Black-
eyed Susans.

About twice a year we spray a few things with PlantSkyd (which my
husband calls the bucket of blood) to deter the yearlings from
browsing the day lilies, dogwood and hostas. Works like a charm.

After 6 years, we've made our peace with the deer & frequently field
questions from longtime residents wondering how we keep our garden
flowering with all the deer.

Just my 2 cents,
Nancy T