Old 01-02-2010, 12:22 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Galen Hekhuis Galen Hekhuis is offline

Default News from northern Florida

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 08:31:15 EST, Phyllis and Jim
wrote:

Our triploid grass carp keep local ponds totally clear of vegetation.
My koi and goldfish think duckweed is a great treat. Local carp
could work well for you. A thought: Two can become more than two.
Would one do?

I need to make clear that what I know about fish could probably be
inscribed on the head of a pin with plenty of room left over. I was
under the impression that triploid grass carp were incapable of
reproduction. But that's really neither here nor there, because I
don't know whether they will be monoloid, diploid, triploid, quadloid,
or whatever-loid. As a matter of fact, if someone held a bass in one
hand and a carp in the other, I'd probably guess that they were two
different kinds of trout or something. Whatever fish my "neighbor"
gives me are going in the pond. (I put "neighbor" in quotes because
while he does live next to me, his driveway is a good 1/4 mile away. I
can't see his house, I only see him a few times a year, he's a trucker
and is on the road most of the time anyway.) If two fish become more
than two, I'll get some loaves to go with, feed the multitudes, change
my name, and walk across the pond.

..