Old 01-02-2010, 02:58 PM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by alison1971 View Post
I am going to have a new fence popped between us and next door neighbours aswel as wanting trees in the garden.
I guess what i am wanting is a full, private garden fast, i have never had such a stark garden and also never had nosy neighbours either!

I have some seeds already and shall have a go at growing this tree and hopefully pop it down the bottom of the garden.

I do like landscaped gardens, but im a fond lover of full (sort of 'the secret garden') type of garden - so if anyone has any other ideas of fast growing trees, that may suit a moist/occasionally water logged soil (as the bottom of my garden does get wet in heavy rain) i would be really greatful for opinions and ideas.

Thanks for all your replies
alison
The Paulownia will only provide screening effect (and during the period it is in leaf only, even then) if you cut back very hard each winter. You will be growing it for the large leaves only.

Certain kinds of willows will like your soggy soil, and grow very fast there are some that grow in hedge-like ways.

Bamboos are good for screening, and so long as the soil isn't permanently waterlogged they will like the dampness. The safest ones are the Fargesia and Thamnocalamus spp, as they are true clumping bamboos and pretty much the only ones that will grow here. Don't believe garden centres when they tell you a bamboo is clumping, I've told you the only ones that really are.