Old 02-02-2010, 05:30 AM posted to rec.gardens
Zootal[_5_] Zootal[_5_] is offline

Default greenhouses and starting garden plants

jeff wrote in :

I'm a beginning gardener looking forward to this years garden and
would like some idea of what I can start and when.

I'm in 7b and have a small homespun "greenhouse" (8' * 8'), this
keeps
the night time temps about 10 degrees off the outside and daytime
temps upwards of 30 degrees warmer. I've added thermal mass and
insulation, and if needed I can raise the temps 10 degrees by turning
on a 250W heat lamp.

Would this be a suitable enviornment for germinating seeds for my
garden?

Should I start about a month or so before the last frost date?

Daves Garden:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/freeze...p?q=30315&subm
it=Go

Gives me mid Feb for an average last 24 and March 24 for the
average
last 32.

I had too late a start for snow peas last year, they did well until
it warmed up and I'm thinking I need to really get an early start.

Jeff

When does the weather get too warm for peas? Here in Oregon, my peas
flourish well into June and sometimes into July if it's not too warm. We
can have 100 on July 4th, or we can have 65 and rain.