Old 02-02-2010, 08:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Seed planting

In article ,
Rusty Hinge wrote:

Inter alia, one of the key differences between even the subtropics
and here is that plants don't go largely dormant in the winter in
the former. They may do in a dry season, but the UK doesn't have
those.

My banananana hasn't gone dormant, and even my front room isn't sub
tropical. True, not sub-zero either...

Forget temperature - think sunlight. I said "largely dormant". In
much of the UK, grass grows throughout the winter, just very, very
slowly. Even in the south, we get only 10% of the sunlight in
winter that we do in summer; in the north, it's 5%.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.