Old 02-02-2010, 10:18 AM posted to rec.gardens
mj mj is offline

Default greenhouses and starting garden plants

On Feb 1, 11:28*pm, jeff wrote:
* *I'm a beginning gardener looking forward to this years garden and
would like some idea of what I can start and when.

* I'm in 7b and have a small homespun "greenhouse" (8' * 8'), this keeps
the night time temps about 10 degrees off the outside and daytime temps
upwards of 30 degrees warmer. I've added thermal mass and insulation,
and if needed I can raise the temps 10 degrees by turning on a 250W heat
lamp.

* Would this be a suitable enviornment for germinating seeds for my garden?

* *Should I start about a month or so before the last frost date?

* *Daves Garden:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/freeze...php?q=30315&su....

* *Gives me mid Feb for an average last 24 and March 24 for the average
last 32.

* *I had too late a start for snow peas last year, they did well until
it warmed up and I'm thinking I need to really get an early start.

* *Jeff

I started my peas in Novemeber and now have tons. Where in 7b are you?
I am in the East of 95 corridor in North Carolina and I believe that
is 7 b as well. I have had a green house for 3 years,I guess what I am
saying is that I can be more specific if I know where you are.