Old 02-02-2010, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
john bently john bently is offline

Default trimming the top off tall shoots

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...
In article ,
says...

"john bently" wrote in message
I'm growing a bamboo plant in a water storage tank and would prefer it
bush out a lot more. At the moment it has one main tall shoot and a
couple
of tiny ones.

Would it help it to bush out if I just trimmed six inches or so off
this
tall shoot?

I know that this often works with plants, but around september of last
year I did trim the top off another bamboo in a big pot that was
growing
too tall and after that the particular shoot in question just seemed to
lose heart and the leaves just stopped filling out.

So what I did in this case seemed not to be a good idea. So I'm
wondering
if the trimming is likely to cause this to happen again or in this case
the bamboo was too near the end of the growing period?

Bamboo is a grass and grows from the roots, not the tip. it will spread,
don't worry about that.

Steve

Ditto the above and point out that if you take the top off a shoot it
will look silly for years, leave well alone and in a few years you will
be posting to ask how to curb it :~)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

I've had the trouble of it spreading before, that is why i only now grow it
in boxes or large pots.