Old 04-02-2010, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Looking for a gift for my Husband

S WHITE wrote:
I am looking to buy my husband a plant for Valentines Day - I wanted
something like a lemon or orange tree, can someome tell me firstly if
they actually can be grown here and if anyone knows where I might be
able to buy one - I haven't seen them in my local garden centre.

We have lime, kumquat and calamodium (sp?) orange trees, all have fruited,
but they need to be kept indoors most of the year. We killed the kumquat
off last year. :-( They're quite difficult to get to fruiting, ime, but
it's quite a nice feeling when they work! I think we've found Tahiti lime
the easiest.

You can get them in garden centres, but they may be seasonal. We've
definitely bought them from various garden centres though. Alternately,
there's a website called citruscentre, iirc that have a huge selection.
Throw it into google and see what you find.