Old 05-02-2010, 12:38 PM posted to aus.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Mulching with hay bales...

"Jeßus" wrote in message
In article , gardenlen0
@bigpond.com said...
:
retty hard to determine how far mulch will go as it comes packed
:tight to loose there is no real standard, and bales can be larger or
:smaller again no standard.
:
:the way i mulch i try to keep it all around 8"s thick and that
:determines how far a bale goes. buiscuits can vary in thickness also
:curently bales of sugar cane mulch gibing 4" to 5" that can't be
:seperated thinner.

Thank for the advice Len.

As you say, too many variables involved to say with any degree of
certainty. I'll just get as big a load as I can.

One way or the other it'll be quickly used up, I planted somewhere
between 200-300 trees last year, and most of those will need some re-
mulching before too long. Then there's the impending (new) polytunnel,
which I hope will be ready to go by mid-autumn. Also the shade house
veggie garden and the 'open' veggie gardens. And the fruit trees... and
on it goes...

A lady I know wrote a rather good book on kitchen gardening and she says to
never use straw straight from the bale but to age the bales first by letting
them sit on the earth and turning them occasionally for a couple of months
till they lose that straw colour. I have been doing this now for a couple
of years and I think she's right. I now think that fresh straw isn't as
good to use for mulch as aged straw. Plants seem to prefer aged straw.