Old 05-02-2010, 06:20 PM posted to aus.gardens
anm anm is offline

Default Mulching with hay bales...

On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 17:58:55 +0000, gardenlen wrote:

g'day anm,

the figure of equivalents of bales to rolls, this is always a hard one
to equate as bales can come packed tight or loose and slightly larger or
smaller but rolls are about medium to loose pack. generaly they bandy
figures of 10 to 12 bales at least no where near 15 to 20 bales per 4'
roll, for me i'd say at best 10 bales is a better comparrison. the best
way might be to imagine how many bales of hay stacked beside a roll then
add maybe 1 or 2. for me a roll doesn't take much longer to use than it
does 8 or 10 bales.

we just find the end of the net wrap and roll the hay first one way
'till space runs out then the other.

be good if a roll did equate to 60 bales it would run out so fast.

the best hay is spoilt lucerne or spoilt pasture grass hay, next in line
sugar cane mulch, most gardeners can't afford to buy quality fodder hay
for the garden.

On 05 Feb 2010 03:37:59 GMT, anm
wrote:
snipped
--

len

With peace and brightest of blessings,

"Be Content With What You Have And
May You Find Serenity and Tranquillity In A World That You May Not
Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

Thanks Len
You are correct of course
Teach me to double check the math
I had one "zero" too many
8 to 10 bales (equivalent) does calculate

4'dia x4' length calculates at 201 sq ft for a 3" depth (roughly
equivalent to 10 small bales)
(The mass of course, as you said, is subject to how tightly the bale has
been rolled)

And "yes" to the lucerne; it's supposed to be best
Has plenty of minerals etc
And as you know, it's a very deep rooting plant
However usually pretty hard (our area) to get "spoilt" lucerne
Wish we could

Keep smiling
anm