Old 18-04-2003, 11:20 PM
Steve Henning

Default Azalea Care

dementia13 wrote in message ...
In Angela Coffey wrote:
I have 5 Azalea bushes in front of my house. One is a white double
blooming one.

If by double-blooming you mean the kind that blooms twice a year, you'll
get a good second bloom in the fall. But not in the summer.

Sean Quinn

A double azalea is a term that is very common with azaleas. A
double flower looks like the interior is filled with petals. This is
because the stamens grow into petal-like structures. The pistol may
also be transformed into a petal-like structure or may be absent.

Another term is semi-double. In this case the stamens are partially
transformed into petal-like structures. Occasionally extra petals are
present and all stamens are present also.

One term that is used in describing many azaleas is hose-in-hose. This
term is meant to describe what looks like a flower inside a flower.
This actually is a flower with a large calyx. The sepals of the calyx
are shaped like the petals of the corolla.

Another version is hose-in-hose double. A perfect example of this is
Gable's Rosebud azalea. The name is descriptive of the flowers
appearance.