Old 06-02-2010, 11:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default callistemon (bottlebrush) container advice?

On 02/06/2010 05:58 PM, wrote:
In article ,
Emery Davis wrote:

Thanks, do you guys have any species recommendations? No flowers isn't
that encouraging, do you suppose it's due to light, climate or container
culture?

Mine is in full sun, but seedlings are always unpredictable.

True enough.

However, you might like to consider some other plants. Good old
rosemary and thyme should survive there, and you will probably get
some flowers (though they much prefer sun). Both are evergreen,
neat, with attractive flowers, and useful for cooking. Sage is all
of those - except neat! You could even grow bay, which is a very
good foliage plant.

Certainly will grow rosemary, thyme and sage, but on a window box around
the other side. For bay we've an enormous tree in the country, that's
enough thanks!

I'm not honestly married to the bottlebrush, just thought it would be
easier to grow on the balcony than in Normandy (where I have always
wanted to put one.)

-E