Old 07-02-2010, 04:40 PM posted to rec.gardens
raymuser raymuser is offline

Default Old Rosemary, ivy and weeds...

On Feb 7, 7:17*am, Phisherman wrote:
On Sat, 6 Feb 2010 12:32:37 -0500, PattiW

wrote:

Hi

I have just registered. I have a problem area in my small cottage
garden. I have cut down an old rosemary plant which had got really out
of hand and was very woody. I've cleared the bed as best I can but there
are still lots of roots - the big rosemary one and brambles and ivy.
It's very very difficult to get a fork into the soil and dig the roots
out. I'm pulling as much as I can out by hand. I would like to do
something with this area but really don't know how to tackle all these
roots in partcular the ivy. Is it possible to post pictures on here? I
took a photo today in the hope that some kind person out there will be
able to make a suggestion as to what I can do with this area. Hope you
can help.

Thanks a lot
Patti

I pulled out a rosemary bush last fall. *It was over 12 years old,
very woody. * It was very easy to pull out by hand especially when the
ground is dry. *A spade fork, maddox, or crow bar will give you more
leverage. *A hachet can be used for larger roots. * Manually remove
the larger roots and vines (dead vines are easier to remove). *If
safe, you can use a propane torch. * Ivy can be a challenge. *

This is NOT a binary newsgroup and most ISPs no longer support binary
files. * But, you can always upload your pics to flickr or some other
free site then post the links here.- Hide quoted text -

The best tool for removing ivy and deep rooted plants is a weed
twister puller such as those made by Ergonica. I make these tools and
stand behind them.

Ray