Old 07-02-2010, 07:48 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jeßus[_2_] Jeßus[_2_] is offline

Default Mulching with hay bales...

In article ,
lid said...
:
:On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 12:59:11 +1100, Jeßus wrote:
:
: ... it's been a /very/ long time since I've used bales of hay to mulch
: with.
:
: My question is, what sort of area should I expect to cover per bale?
:
: I used to peel off a 'slab' about 2-3" thick to mulch any given spot, if
: that's any indication.
:
: I'll most likely get the older/smaller bales rather than the big round
: type - depending on cost and availability - but if anyone can give me
: average coverage figures for either or both types, I'd very much
: appreciate it.
:
: Cheers
:
:Checked with some farming friends.
:A lot of variables - depends on what type of hay (meadow, oaten, wheaten,
lain straw etc)and also the thickness of the crop which has been bailed.
:The bailer apparently pushes/rams a biscuit on set rotations.
:Therefore , in theory, the heavier the crop, the thicker the biscuit;
:though skilled operators have ways to maintain same size bales through
:heavy and light crops - apparently more an art than a science.
:
:BALE SIZE:
:A rough average for a (small) bale would be 14 to 16 inches high x 18
:inches wide by about 34 to 40 inches long (measured along the string/s).
:A fair summation would be 16"x18"x36".
:
:The number of biscuits in a 36" bale could vary from 8 to 12 - let's say
:10, which makes each biscuit about 3"
:
:COVERAGE:
:Then coverage would be approx. 2sq.ft per biscuit or around 20sq.ft (just
:under 2sq.m) per bale (to a depth of 3").
:
:You know how much and how thick you want to mulch. Simple arithmetic
:from there will give you rough bale numbers.
:
:PRICE:
:Hay seems to be $5 per bale through $14, again depending on quality,
:content and quantity purchased. Not sure what it is in Tasie.
:
:Would suggest for mulching, try for "old season" (last year's - 2008)
:hay. This can be cheaper (and/or give you negotiating advantage) than
:"new season".
:
:Also try for "damaged hay" - usually been subject to some rain damage, or
:come from the bottom layer of a stack and may have a bit of mould. OK
:for mulching. You would need to check your newspapers or contact local
:farmers. Meadow hay tends to be cheaper; the "Boss" swears by it
:reckoning the worms get into it a lot faster; who am I to argue?
:
:Again like most of us, your "needs" will probably be tempered by the
:balance in the cheque book.
:
:ROUND BALES"
:Round bales also vary in size; generally 4' to 6' diameter and 4' upwards
:in length, and of course are harder to handle without machinery. They
:usually run to a volume equivalent of 60 to 100 "small bales" - say 80 to
:again give you a rough calculation for coverage, though per unit cost
:would be less; lower baling and handling costs as round bales can at a
inch be made by one person who, with the right machinery, can take the
:hay from mowing through to stacking.
:
:If you have a front end loader or can fabricate something on a 3 point
:linkage to handle the bale/s, this may be OK for you.
:
:HTH

It most certainly did 'H' anm, many thanks indeed

I'll work off (roughly) 20/160sq ft, should keep me out of trouble.
Prices here vary quite a bit - I've seen bales as low as $2 and up over
$10 - the latter for the likes of Lucerne of course.

All depends on what I can find locally vs. over towards Launceston,
which is a good hour's drive away via the 'goat track' - but many more
sellers in there. I have a trayback ute but am hoping to find a seller
who can deliver a decent load in one go, so local (which around here can
mean 30KM away) ought to work out cheaper for that.

And yes, if I can find some spoilt hay, so much the better...

Next year, I'll try to plan much further ahead. There are plenty of
paddocks around here with good material that just need baling up that
otherwise is going to waste. I'm sure I can tee up a deal and have it
baled up. I've only been in the area for about 18 months, so still don't
know all the 'right' people on this topic.

Anyway, thanks again for the great info!