Old 07-02-2010, 07:55 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jeßus[_2_] Jeßus[_2_] is offline

Default Mulching with hay bales...

In article ,
lid said...
:
:On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 17:58:55 +0000, gardenlen wrote:
:
: g'day anm,
:
: the figure of equivalents of bales to rolls, this is always a hard one
: to equate as bales can come packed tight or loose and slightly larger or
: smaller but rolls are about medium to loose pack. generaly they bandy
: figures of 10 to 12 bales at least no where near 15 to 20 bales per 4'
: roll, for me i'd say at best 10 bales is a better comparrison. the best
: way might be to imagine how many bales of hay stacked beside a roll then
: add maybe 1 or 2. for me a roll doesn't take much longer to use than it
: does 8 or 10 bales.
:
: we just find the end of the net wrap and roll the hay first one way
: 'till space runs out then the other.
:
: be good if a roll did equate to 60 bales it would run out so fast.
:
: the best hay is spoilt lucerne or spoilt pasture grass hay, next in line
: sugar cane mulch, most gardeners can't afford to buy quality fodder hay
: for the garden.
:
:
: On 05 Feb 2010 03:37:59 GMT, anm
: wrote:
: snipped
: --
:
: len
:
: With peace and brightest of blessings,
:
: "Be Content With What You Have And
: May You Find Serenity and Tranquillity In A World That You May Not
: Understand."
:
:
http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
:
:Thanks Len
:You are correct of course
:Teach me to double check the math
:I had one "zero" too many
:8 to 10 bales (equivalent) does calculate
:
:4'dia x4' length calculates at 201 sq ft for a 3" depth (roughly
:equivalent to 10 small bales)
The mass of course, as you said, is subject to how tightly the bale has
:been rolled)
:
:And "yes" to the lucerne; it's supposed to be best
:Has plenty of minerals etc
:And as you know, it's a very deep rooting plant
:However usually pretty hard (our area) to get "spoilt" lucerne
:Wish we could

Correction noted