Old 08-02-2010, 02:39 AM posted to aus.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Mulching with hay bales...

"Jeßus" wrote in message
In article ,
ask@itshall said...
:"Jeßus" wrote in message
: As you say, too many variables involved to say with any degree of
: certainty. I'll just get as big a load as I can.
:
: One way or the other it'll be quickly used up, I planted somewhere
: between 200-300 trees last year, and most of those will need some re-
: mulching before too long. Then there's the impending (new) polytunnel,
: which I hope will be ready to go by mid-autumn. Also the shade house
: veggie garden and the 'open' veggie gardens. And the fruit trees... and
: on it goes...
:
:A lady I know wrote a rather good book on kitchen gardening and she says
:never use straw straight from the bale but to age the bales first by
letting
:them sit on the earth and turning them occasionally for a couple of
months
:till they lose that straw colour. I have been doing this now for a
couple
f years and I think she's right. I now think that fresh straw isn't as
:good to use for mulch as aged straw. Plants seem to prefer aged straw.

Based on past experiences, I tend to agree with the lady author you
know.

Hard to put into words why - perhaps it just 'beds down' better compared
to the stiffer, fresher/bulkier material and so forms a more effective
covering, whilst at the same time providing some organic material,
bacteria etc. to the soil more quickly?

what she says on the subject is the following:
"There are two good reasons for spoiling bales:
1. Germination or seed spoiling is encouraged and any grass that does grow
on the bale is killed as the bale is rotated.
2. During the first few weeks of rotting, the hay and straw produces toxins
that inhibit plant gowth including the growth of weeds. the toxicity can
last for a few weeks."

The toxicity doesn't surprise me a great deal given how resistant to
breaking down fresh straw can be if put straight on to beds. My soil needs
feeding rather than mulching as I have lots of other options for mulch.

One thing she doesn't mention is how attractive older bales are to earth
worms. I turn them as I remember and then they sit aroud doign nuttin' and
by the time I finally use them, I find that the side touching the ground is
alive with worms. It is these worms and the decay that I really want in
aged bales.