Old 08-02-2010, 12:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Christina Websell[_2_] Christina Websell[_2_] is offline

Default Just bought a book

"Dave Hill" wrote in message .
As someone who used to work with People with sight problems I wouldn't
waste money on a page magnifier they dont do a lot,
If you ask your local Social Services dept

That would be who I work for then ;-

if there is a low vision

clinic or ask your opticial about low vision aids, you may be able to
get some free or cut price,

I've been assessed at the low vision clinic, could have 3 free things and I
chose things that would help me at work, which obviously, I keep there.
I could really do with something to help me read small print at home now.

I have this wonderful machine at work, it's called a MyReader, bit like a
television, I can scan stuff under it and have all sorts of different
background colours and text size
Best of all if I put a book under it, or any sort of text (not handwriting)
it will scan it line by line at reading pace and I can magnify it as much as
I like. It cost my employers more than 3 thousand quid but unfortunately I
cannot take it home until I retire ;-(
It's a wonderful thing, have you heard of it?

I've had a macular hole, had 8 surgeries now, but in the process of saving
my central vision I've lost visual acuity and cannot see in the dark either.

also you could contact

The Partialy sighted society http://www.partsight.org.uk/
or www.RNIB.org.uk
Both of these can help with low vision aids and advice.

I've looked at the PSS website, it will be useful, thank you, Dave.

Tina