Old 19-04-2003, 12:20 AM
Penny Morgan

Default lamium invasive?

I think you'll be very pleased with the lamium in a shady or part shade
spot. It spreads slowly with the branches extending and rooting as it goes.
It is not invasive at all. I had the richest soil/compost beds and it
spread about 5 ft. in diameter eventually after about 5 years. It's one of
my favorite shade groundcovers. I just drew a plan and planted beds for our
subdivision entrance using Palace Purple Heuchera, Beacon Silver Lamium,
Carissa Hollies, Lionsville Arborvitaes, Acorus Ogon Grass, Variegated
Liriope, Deep Red Caladiums, Red and Pink Hypoestes, and some Picadilly
Helleborus. Absolutely gorgeous!

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina
"delirium" wrote in message

Do I dare? I purchased a Lamium Maculatum 'Pink Pewter' at my local big
box store this afternoon. The information I have been able to find lists
it as good for a groundcover in shady areas, but possibly invasive under
the right conditions. I'm trying to decide if I'm going to regret
planting this. The projected area is quite shady and is comprised of a
thin layer of good soil over clay. Not what I would describe as ideal
conditions. If this plant does go overboard, how tough will it be to trim
back? Are there runners? Does anyone have personal experience with this
plant going rogue? My other choice is to put this in a hanging basket.

Thanks, Jenn

Zone 7, Raleigh, NC