Old 08-02-2010, 03:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default OT Record cold wave gripping the Earth.

aluckyguess wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Frank wrote:
If you, through some global warming inspired program were offered
the opportunity to insulate your home better, buy an energy star
fridge, freezer and stove and set up your home to use less energy
and save more money, would you take it and would the reason for
the program matter much to you?

... I am, btw, a mostly coherent high wattage 510 nm green. It's a
less expensive way to live once you get onto it.

Of course I do these things. Saving the environment is
coincidental, saving money is paramount.
My preference is for the free market to drive this issue. We all
want a clean environment and conservation but a lot of us don't
want it shoved down our throats.

The trouble with that approach is that by the time the free market is
hurting enough to do something very significant changes will have
taken place which will be hugely expensive to fix (if it is possible
at all) and they will cause immense human suffering along the way.

What kind of immense suffering are you talking about.

It depends on the degree of the problem and how fast it happens which
depends on what action we take and when.

It could be low islands and some coastal areas being flooded, increased crop
failures in marginal areas and minor changes of range of insect and
microbial pests.

It could be wholesale flooding of occupied land, rapid desertification,
continuous famine, mass displacement and wars following from these and
population depletion bringing about economic collapse.

David