Old 08-02-2010, 01:48 PM posted to rec.gardens
EVP MAN EVP MAN is offline

Default Big Boom In Vegetable Gardening Do To Recession (PAW)

Hi PAW Last year was the start of it all for me as far as vegetable
gardening goes. I dug a few holes in the lawn out back and put in a
dozen and a half tomato plants. They done great. They were all hybrids
I bought from a local nursery as transplants. This year things will be
a bit different. I bought grow lights and all kinds of vegetable seeds.
About half are hybrid and half heirloom seeds and yes in the future I do
plan on saving some of the heirloom seeds. I even decided to put in an
asparagus bed which should be good for quite a few years into the
future. Right now I'm into the hard part. Digging up the sod by hand
with a spade. I want to create wide rows about 3' wide so I can work
them from either side. When finished I hope to have dug about 250 sq.
ft. of garden space. I'm only growing for my wife and I so I figure
that should be big enough with plenty left for friends and neighbors who
would enjoy a few fresh veggies. Right now we have snow on the ground
and I hope I can get out there and start digging again come mid March.
I must have the beds finished by mid April as that's when my asparagus
crowns and onion sets will be shipped to me. My soil is clay so I must
dig in lots of organic matter. Lot's of hard work still ahead for this
old man........LOL

Rich