Old 08-02-2010, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default A hitch-hiking orchid

"Dave Poole" wrote ((SNIP))

Many of us who grow a few to many ‘exotics’ in their gardens probably
have the now almost obligatory tree fern (Dicksonia antarctica) tucked
into a sheltered corner or taking pride of place. Some may also have
noticed seedling hitch-hikers that appear growing out of the trunks
several to many months after purchase. If the trunks have been
stacked on the ground after import into the UK most will be common,
familiar native ‘weeds’.

Nothing like that on our one but it was pre-owned by a neighbour who
emigrated to Oz. I've actually pushed some first year Pleione pseudobulbs
into the stem to try to create a bit more interest so await their appearance
(or not) in a couple of months.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden