Old 08-02-2010, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Poole Dave Poole is offline
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon
Default A hitch-hiking orchid

Adrian wrote:
Any chance of a photo ?

I have taken some pics although the macro on my ancient camera is
decidedly dodgy. Unfortunately there is no way pics can be posted
here, but if you click the following url, it should take you to a pic
of my plant at the bottom of the thread:
http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/foru...php?f=1&t=4816

Sacha, there was something rather exciting about the whole thing.
Even though the flower is a bit of let down, I can't help marvelling
at how this tiny scrap survived and thrived. The overall size of the
plant maintains a slight mystery because the normal 'maroon-hoods' are
much taller with larger leaves. I can't find any references to a wide
variability in size and on a technical note, I see that the lip should
exceed the cleft between the two lateral sepals making it just
visible. In my plant it is very much shorter and only visible when
the flower is dissected. Whether this is a a natural hybrid or a
variety of the species remains to be seen. I need the help of an Aus.
botanist.

Jeff Layman wrote:

Makes you wonder if these tree ferns might be a good source of native
mycorrhiza.

I suppose that's a possibility Jeff, but I'm not aware of mycorrhizal
activity within the root masses on the tree fern trunks. The only way
that the Pterostylis could have got there in the first place would
have been by seed - not sure that it needs much help in terms of
mycorrhizal association because I've read that they are readily raised
from seed in a variety of composts and substrates.

Would you allow me to offer your post for reprinting in the Australasian
Plant Society newsletter (no promises - I'm not the editor)? *We have a
number of members who would find it not only of interest, but very
encouraging.

I've no problem with that, but the above is full of typos and gaffes
as a result of writing on-the-hoof, so I'd like to edit it properly
beforehand. If you send me your email addy to my hotmail account as
shown, I'll forward a cleaned up version plus a pic of the plant.