Old 08-02-2010, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Christina Websell[_2_] Christina Websell[_2_] is offline

Default Foxes (again)

On 2010-02-08 01:11:58 +0000, "Christina Websell"
said:

wrote in message
Was clearing the boys' raised bed today and whilst weeding out a bunch
of
onions and last year's potatoes that I had forgotten were there, I found
a chicken breast. (at least, I think it was chicken) It looked quite
fresh, although the soil was undisturbed, so it could have been there a
while and preserved by the cold, I guess.

Do foxes bury 'spare' food to come back to later? I've never found
anything
like this before.

--

Yes, foxes do bury spare food, but how it came across a chicken breast
(do

Thieving dog? ;-)
--

Nah, I had a thieving dog, my lurcher, Trim. She never recovered from her
mindset of having to live wild for a while just before I adopted her.
She would escape at every opportunity and go out stealing from dustbins and
I had to go out and find her. She would be as bloated as those lions you
see on TV that have just eaten a whole zebra.
She could eat the whole contents of my fridge in one go, eggs, margarine,
butter, lard, cheese, whatever was in there was in her stomach.
If she broke into the cupboard that had tins in, she would only choose tins
that had meat in to chew through to get to the contents.
She never made a mistake and opened a tin of peaches, how she did that I
will never know. To say that she was one of the most challenging dogs I
ever had would be an understatement:-)
She would never have buried anything that she could fit into her stomach,
even if it meant her stomach was so low to the ground she could hardly move.
Tina