Old 09-02-2010, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Part_No Part_No is offline

Default Potato chitting

"Wally" wrote in news:hkpms0$bnt$1
@news.albasani.net:

I am looking for ideas for chitting my potatoes.
My problem is, I don't have any spare room indoors.
last year I laid them out in my allotment shed but a lot of
them got attacked by mice, big holes chewed into them,
so I don't really want to go there again.
I have a garden shed but also got mice in there so same problem.
Has anyone got a cunning plan that might outwit these little ******** ?

Would be grateful for a solution to this dilemma.

Wally

UK North Lincs.
This is my third year chitting potatoes and I put them in egg cartons on
my 2 south facing window cills with great success, planting in mid March,
digging some in early June to eat and continue 'till they are gone.

I'm a bit early this year though and my Arran Pilots all have 1/4" shoots
already though Pentland Javelin are just starting to show.

It has been suggested to put the potatoes in the loft or under a bed to
chit, but I think because there is no light you will get whitish shoots
which are no good according to "experts". Depending on variety the shoots
should be green or red and in the case of Arran Pilots black/green.

You can rub off the shoots that are too early and I think that's what I
need to do this year.

I plant the main crop early April without chitting and get a heavy crop
when the earlies are used.....Sept. ish

I have just over 100 earlies chitting on my cills.
The Pentland Javelin give me a massive crop, (though a few weeks later than
most first earlies) and if left in the ground grow to a size resembling a
main crop variety.

Anyway, these are my findings from my own experience and work for me very
well indeed.

I know I have gone on a little here but I hope it has helped.

Kind regards
Part_No