Old 09-02-2010, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Christina Websell[_2_] Christina Websell[_2_] is offline

Default Foxes (again)

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Christina Websell" contains these
words:

Nah, I had a thieving dog, my lurcher, Trim. She never recovered from
her
mindset of having to live wild for a while just before I adopted her.
She would escape at every opportunity and go out stealing from dustbins

I've heard similar stories many times of lurchers who are obsessive
thieves ; looks like you got a prime example :-)

Her finest hour was when she opened the pull-down oven door one Sunday while
the joint was cooking and I was out for half an hour.
She removed the joint and managed to leave the roasting tin still in
there;-)

Apart from her obsession with food, in all other ways she was a marvellous
dog. In appearance she looked like a smaller version of an Irish wolfhound,
about labrador size, ideal for reaching up on to the worktops.
Once I had lurcher-proofed my cupboards with suitcase latches, and drilled
through the top of my fridge door and the worktop above so I could drop a
long nail through, that stopped her gallop!
However, if she couldn't actually get to food after that, she'd have to find
things that had recently been "near" food. I would come home from work and
find my wooden spoons chewed up, and one day my food mixer was in her bed
with her at the side of it, grinning in that way they lift their lip up when
they know they shouldn't have done that.
She died aged 14 from liver cancer. I still miss her and would never have
wanted to miss the owning Trim experience.
She was very protective of me. She once bit a visitor who was a lurcher
expert and he knew all about them. I told him not to get up from the sofa
and come towards me or Trim might bite him. He said he didn't think she
would - I said she definitely would, but of course he knew more than I did.
So he got up from the sofa, wanting the bathroom, took two steps towards me
and she bit him on the thigh.
He was a lurcher man himself and agreed it was his own fault.
I loved that dog.
I can't keep it much on topic except she used to "help" me with gardening,
just in case she could get near the chickens and eat the layers pellets..

Tina