Old 10-02-2010, 09:08 AM
Nutty_Nick Nutty_Nick is offline
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden View Post
"Nutty_Nick" wrote

Nutty_Nick;877019 Wrote:
Hello,
I have just joined this site, and I have to say I am a complete
novice when it comes to my garden. I am going to be planting flower
seeds for the first time and will need all the advise that i can get!

Let me expand a bit. my garden in a blank canvass, so i am starting from
scratch, I have got a large flower bed at the top of my garden and a
flower bed at the bottom and in between its laid to lawn. I would like
to put flower beds all around the lawn and maybe a couple of small
trees.

Flowers all around the lawn, flowers all backed up to a fence, the
frightened flower look? :-)

Where are you? How big is your garden? What's it's orientation? How much sun
does it get?
What do you and yours want from your garden? Patio, bbq, sun loungers,
swimming pool, fish pond, kids play area, fruit trees........
Until you decide what you want now, and possibly in the future, you cannot
plan your new garden.
The best thing to do if there are more than one of you is to get everyone in
the house to write down separately, on their own, what they want from the
garden. Then all combine these into what is possible for the space/money
available but do remember to include space for those things you want to
include later.

Then with that done you can work out where the sun is at different times of
the day and start to plan out what goes where, no good having a sitting area
if it's always in shade in the evenings when you get home from work.

It's always good to look at good gardens to get ideas on design and plants
that you like, all research like that will pay dividends in the future.
Look in garden books, in House & Home type mags, RHS gardens especially
Wisley, to see what type of garden and plants you like and more importantly
what you don't.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden