Old 10-02-2010, 10:57 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Mantis Tiller ?

EVP MAN wrote:

Does anyone own a Mantis tiller and if so, how do you like it? I'm
looking to buy a small tiller for my 250 sq. ft. garden. They seem a
bit expensive at just over $300 but it seems most all the small tillers
are in about the same price range.

Everything their advertisements say about the Mantis is true, and it's
even better than they claim, much better. I've owned a Mantis for
five years, there's nothing not to like about it. The only thing a
Mantis doesn't do well is to bust up virgin sod. Had I known about
the Mantis I never would have bought my 7 HP Simplicity tiller...
could have rented one to bust up the sod to make my vegetable garden
with a $50 rental... now I have the never used again $700 Simplicity
taking up space in my shed to remind me how stupid I was to buy it...
It's nearly impossible to sell a used tiller for anywhere near the
selling price... so far I've gotten one offer of $75. The only good
thing about those big HP tillers is that you'll never need to buy a
gym membership... don't you believe those depictions of some little
old lady operating it one handed, the incedible hulk would have
trouble... I weigh 200 pounds and that 7 HP machine drags ME around...
it's incredibly dangerous. A ten year old can easily/safely handle
the Mantis.