Old 11-02-2010, 02:25 AM posted to rec.gardens
Dave_s Dave_s is offline

Default Kill stump

Pavel314 wrote:

Why not just set the pots on the stumps? My wife started hiding/
decorating a couple of stumps that way, then it expanded to pots on
upright logs of various heights. Illustration at:

http://home.comcast.net/~rbfarm/

Paul

Paul, putting pots with colorful annuals sure looks nice at your
Rainbow Farm. Thanks for your suggestions.

This stump grows new shoots so rapidly, that the annuals in a pot on
this stump would repeatedly be surrounded by tall new shoots. I'm
wondering how you keep those new shoots from growing rapidly from your
tree stumps. Do they periodically become taller than the annual plants
in the pots?

See my very actively growing ELM tree stump at

(http://s1001.photobucket.com/albums/...wth-2-2010.jpg)

and

(http://s1001.photobucket.com/albums/...wth-2-2010.jpg)

This tree, removed 2 years ago, was 55 feet tall with an 14inch
diameter trunk. The stump looks like it will live forever.

Dave_S