Old 11-02-2010, 06:46 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jeßus[_2_] Jeßus[_2_] is offline

Default Mulching with hay bales...

In article , said...

:Jeßus wrote:
: Based on past experiences, I tend to agree with the lady author you
: know.
:
: Hard to put into words why - perhaps it just 'beds down' better
: compared to the stiffer, fresher/bulkier material and so forms a more
: effective covering, whilst at the same time providing some organic
: material, bacteria etc. to the soil more quickly?
:
:Is what you you are using straw of hay? The two are not the same, they come
:form different sources, have different content and behave differently.

Hmm...

Well, So far I've been using a random mixture of small quantities of
straw/hay since moving here rather than a consistent type of hay or
straw from a regular source. I'll be ordering a large amount pretty soon
though.

I *have* recently used a few bales of fresh 'oat straw', which I've
found is good to protect freshly transplanted plants (especially
sensitive young seedlings) from the sun and wind.