Old 11-02-2010, 10:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
RogerT RogerT is offline

Default Potato chitting

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

why bother chitting at all? commercial growers donut do it , i think.

No chitting, no eyes, no seed potatoes.

My experience suggest that if you miss some potatoes when digging up
your crop, they grow brilliantly next season, in all the wrong places.

I was also told many years ago never to compost potatoe peelings for
exactly the same reason!

Mind you that was before the days of compost accelerators, fancy bins
and the apparent need to compost everything as quickly as possible.

I still use a two year composting cycle and would probably use a three
year cycle if I had the space.

Roger T