Old 11-02-2010, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Potato chitting

On 11/02/2010 10:44, Dave Hill wrote:

You don't have to chitt, after all in nature the tubers stay under the
soil and will start to grow in the spring, chitting just speeds up the
growing process a bit.

I don't bother chitting. Doesn't seem to be a problem; but then I tend
to plant mine dangerously early anyway. They don't seem late to harvest.
I take the view that if volunteers can survive happily overwinter
outside in cold then why not seed potatoes. In my opinion chitting seems
to be one of those things that is of negligible benefit and more of a
gardening custom than a necessity.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.