Old 11-02-2010, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Malcolm Malcolm is offline

Default New to gardening

bobharvey wrote:
On 9 Feb, 08:37, Nutty_Nick
wrote:
Hello,
I have just joined this site, and I have to say I am a complete
novice when it comes to my garden. I am going to be planting flower
seeds for the first time and will need all the advise that i can get!

My advice includes finding a local privately-owned garden centre &
making friends. For example they will sellbedding plants suited to
the area, unlike the big DIY sheds which sell the same thing all over
the country just 'cos they can get it cheap.

Growing from seed is not always a sure-fire thing, especially first
time round. Be prepared for some failures, and be prepared to put in
some bedding plants two or three times in the year, especially in year
1.

Some plants really do better germinated in trays, potted up, and then
planted out. It's about fine control of moisture and temperature and
about protection from slugs, bullfinches etc. Others can be sewn in
situ with good success. Read the seed packet, the catalogues, and
talk to your neughbours.

Keep notes. for a few years at least, you'll find you can't remember
what happened 12 months ago.

Plant -or sow - lots, at first, till you decide what you like. Don't
be afraid to pull things up and start again, or to give room to
something else.

The more you prepare the soil the better the results will be - but you
will still get things growing if you do nothing. It's always supposed
to be fun, not torture.

Top short circuit any germination problems, many garden centres sell
small pots of germinated seedlings ready to prick out into plug trays
(particularly good for difficult to germinate seeds). Alternatively
look at a supplier such as Gardening direct who supply plug plants ready
to grow on. I find this the easiest as they arrive at a time when
little heat is needed but give the satisfaction of growing the plants
from this stage (although working for a school I do need plants in large
numbers (240 busy lizzies tis year for a start))

Malcolm