Old 12-02-2010, 05:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
jeff jeff is offline

Default cold frames up against south side garage

Linda Hungerford wrote:
On Feb 2, 9:24 pm, Ohioguy wrote:
Can anyone give me some ideas on materials to use? I'm thinking of
using wood and polycarbonate panels, and perhaps insulating the inside
of the wood - or would the outside be better? I'd like them to be
several feet deep. Even just standing next to that wall outside on a
cold but windless day, you can feel quite warm.

Old windows and doors, with the glass panes intact, are what we have
tried to use. Build up the sides with , oh, 1x6 or 2x6, hinge your
lid and you are good to go. Use a few sticks, of differing lengths,
to raise the cover/ventilate when days are warmer.

Glass is fine. Polycarbonate sans a UV barrier will deteriorate.
Outdoor use polycarb will be labeled with which surface is treated.

Jeff

ttfn....
Linda H.