Old 12-02-2010, 08:48 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default dead grass

On Feb 11, 10:01*pm, Lawn Guy wrote:
iainahannah wrote:
the lawn is very patchy with straw coloured patches all over.
who can give me good solid advice to make my grass nice and
green

Is this the first time you've owned a lawn?

You want advice? *How about this: *Wait until spring.

At this point that is about all he can do. It would also be helpful
if when asking for advice people would state where they are located,
what kind of grass, was it laid as sod, etc. I hope it was properly
watered before going dormant. In any case, if it's cool season grass
and it gets cold, it's perfectly normal for it to look straw colored.
Depending on the grass, some will lose color slower than others, but
if it gets cold enough, well into the winter they will lose color. A
reference point is always what do the established lawns of neighbors
look like? Even then, you really have to compare similar grasses.
Here in the NYC area some dummies plant Zoysia and it looks like straw
from early Nov until May. My tall fescue usually looks partly green
into Feb.

And also - why are posting via gardenbanter? *The banter servers are so
lame, and many are blocked/filtered on sight because they are used far
more often for spam.