Old 12-02-2010, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Poole Dave Poole is offline
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon
Default Planting seeds

Dave Hill wrote:
I've had no trouble with germination using several multi-purpose
composts from various sources

\\Snip//
Try B & Q multipurpous with Peat (The peat free is rubbish), seive it
with a 1cm mesh then add about5% pearlite (By Volume).

Totally right. The standard compost is the 'Gardening Which' best buy
for 2010 and I've used it for quite a few years. It's bloody good and
is even better when mixed with a reasonable quality JI No3 plus
perlite. The 'peat-free' has also been recommended, but is by no
means as good as it could be and should always be bought dry (indoors
or under cover) as opposed to bags stocked outside and heavy with
water.