Old 12-02-2010, 11:05 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Mantis Tiller ? (Bill)

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 14:12:05 -0500, Bill who putters
wrote:

In article ,
brooklyn1 wrote:

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 08:44:44 -0500, (EVP MAN)
wrote:

I thought about the electric tiller but I didn't like the thought of
having the extension cord in your way all the time. Just seems like it
might be kind of unhandy because you might be dragging the cord over top
of your plants all the time. I settled for the 2-cycle that comes with
kick stand and edger. Think it has (81) reviews on Amazon

Rich

Besides having to concern oneself with avoiding tilling/cutting the
electric cord (guaranteed to occur) the electric unit pretty much
negates portability... myself I'd need to buy a generator or many
hundreds of feet of extension cord. An electric tiller is about the
dumbest idea... unless one wants to use their Mantis to make whipped
cream by the wheelbarrowful for nude girl wrestling.

I have a electric 18 chain saw (Pollan) and a Toro power shovel power
curve snow shovel. I ran some power back to my garden an never use more
than 50 cord.

Electric chian saws can be handy for cutting fire wood logs to length
near or inside ones abode... the last owner here heated with a wood
stove in the basement, he used an electric chain saw in the basement,
they're relatively quiet and produce no fumes... but electric chain
saws are pretty useless in the woods.

If you have a small property an electric snow thrower is a good idea
too... most folk's walkways, decks, patios, and driveways are close to
their house so there'd be power nearby.... but I have two driveways,
the one to my house is 300' and the one to my barn is 800', plus a
200' side trip for my rental house driveway... so I have a 7' plow on
my tractor.

For my vegetable garden I'd need a good 250' of extension cord to use
an electric tiller.. and I'd not want to have to constantly be aware
of that cord.... where I lived previously my yard was only a 1/4 acre,
there I used an electric hedge cutter and even tried an electric lawn
mower... I can't remember how many times I cut the cord on that mower.
The real beauty of the Mantis is that it's portable, it weighs only 20
pounds, I love that portability, I don't want a leash on it, an
electric tiller is really a dumb idea... I honestly see no advantage,
only disadvantage. I don't even mind mixing the fuel. it's the same
mix for my chain saw, my leaf blower, and my string trimmer. The
Mantis is very stingy with fuel, I can till my entire 50' X 50'
vegetable garden on like one little tankful, maybe a 1/4 tank more. My
big Jonsered chainsaw is the real fuel hog. Ever since I bought the
Mantis I've not used my 7 HP Simplicity tiller even once, in fact it
sits in my garden shed and hasn't been started up in over 6 years...
I'll try to remember this spring just to move the oil about. The big
Simplicity is a great tiller for chopping up virgin sod, anyone near
the Catskills who's interested it's for sale, I'll give you a great
deal but I'll toss it into the pond before I'll give it away. I think
it sells new for near a grand now, I paid over $700 + tax. I'll sell
it for anything close to half my cost.

Hey, I almost forgot, I have a 5' wide tiller too that attaches to a 3
point hitch, a top of the line Italian made tiller that I bought new
but never used... been in my barn some 7 years, each year sprayed with
a good coat of WD 40. I thought I'd plant a pear orchard but realized
I was too old to care for it.. so that's for sale too. and I also
have a practically new 7' heavy duty brush hog that I used two seasons
but decided my big finishing mower does the job, that implement is for
sale too. I'm not greedy but I'm no fool.

This is the tiller:
http://www.delmorino.it/show/item/41...ry_tiller.html

The brush hog:
http://befco.com/products/tornado/rhd.html