Old 13-02-2010, 05:18 AM posted to rec.gardens
Wildbilly Wildbilly is offline

Default rotavator or top soil

In article ,
"Lelandite" wrote:

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Lelandite wrote:
" I have a very large garden, that needs tidying up. its basically a
base.
with bit of rubble.

Im not sure if i should rotavate it or throw top soil on.

Any one any ideas?

Fiona

--
fi0n4

Til it up good! mix in some air, nutrients, fertilizer, and enough
bags of a good topsoil to cover the whole area at least a couple of
inches. Your work will be worth the effort if you put the time in now.

Donna
in WA zone 8/9

I don't see that there is enough information to suggest that. There are
situations which fit the description where that would be a waste of effort.

David

She states she has a "base". I'd still go for the works. My gardens have
always liked the little extra's I give them....both flower and veggie. You
should see my bosenberries right now....can't wait until summer.

Donna
in WA

I just ask that you look at 3 web sites.

(1)
http://www.plantea.com/no-tilling.htm
You may want to look at Lowenfels book:
"Teaming with Microbes"
http://www.amazon.com/Teaming-Microb...l/dp/088192777
5/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266037779&sr=1-1
and probably available at your local library.

(2)
http://www.mdvaden.com/double_digging.shtml
The first, and last, dig isn't necessary, but it speeds things up
dramatically. (see below)

(3)
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organ.../Lasagna-Garde
ning.aspx