Old 13-02-2010, 01:38 PM posted to aus.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Mulching with hay bales...

"Jeßus" wrote in message
In article , said...

:Jeßus wrote:
: Based on past experiences, I tend to agree with the lady author you
: know.
:
: Hard to put into words why - perhaps it just 'beds down' better
: compared to the stiffer, fresher/bulkier material and so forms a more
: effective covering, whilst at the same time providing some organic
: material, bacteria etc. to the soil more quickly?
:
:Is what you you are using straw of hay? The two are not the same, they
come
:form different sources, have different content and behave differently.

Hmm...

Well, So far I've been using a random mixture of small quantities of
straw/hay since moving here rather than a consistent type of hay or
straw from a regular source. I'll be ordering a large amount pretty soon
though.

I *have* recently used a few bales of fresh 'oat straw', which I've
found is good to protect freshly transplanted plants (especially
sensitive young seedlings) from the sun and wind.

All seedlings will do better with some mulch rather than none.