Old 13-02-2010, 01:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Growing On Herbs

"®óñ© © ²°¹°" wrote...
Usenet Nutter wrote:

A couple of times I have bought growing herbs in pots like Basil
,Parsley or Coriander etc from supermarkets and while they are fine
and very healthy when you buy them they never survive more than a few
days . I'm assuming that they are forced to get to the "selling" stage
but has anyone ever bought these and got them to last ?

I do this every year with both curly parsley and flat-leaved parsley
bought from supermarkets.

I break up the potted plants into about 5 -6 pieces and plant them
directly into an unheated greenhouse border (from about May onwards)

I usually get a large long-lasting crop, enough to supply myself and
neighbours and plenty enough to swill off, bag up and deep freeze for
winter use.

Basil is not quite so amenable and mint is OK as long as you confine
it to large pots

We do similar but plant out on the allotment.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden