Old 13-02-2010, 04:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
Nanzi Nanzi is offline

Default Stake And Weave To Support Tomatoes And Peppers

On Feb 13, 10:40*am, jeff wrote:
brooklyn1 wrote:
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 02:15:40 -0500, (EVP MAN)
wrote:

Has anyone ever tried the stake and weave to support tomatoes and bell
peppers? *Looks like a pretty good system to me because you use a whole
lot less stakes which can be kind of expensive these days! *I do know
that big growers in Florida use this system quite a bit on large scale
operations. *I was just wondering how many home gardeners have tried it
and if so, *how did it work out for you? * Also, *if you can recommend
any variation of this method I would like to hear about it. *I will be
putting out around two dozen plants this spring and need to save some
money while also giving my plants some good support to keep them off the
ground. *Any suggestions would be more than welcomed *Thanks so much
in advance!

Isn't stake and weave a technique advanced knitters employ. LOL

Sounds like you're not very sure that you want to grow vegetables
every year... this is your first time, right. *If you intend to grow
each year ask your medical professional for a *CBD immunization shot.

Stake and weave is fine if you have lots of illegals to perform all
the labor. And as you've noted decent stakes ain't cheap and don't
last long, often they don't last the season. *For home grown I've
found the square/triangular foldable vinyl clad steel wire cages are
best; they offer the best support without damaging plants, are
virtually labor free, they last years and years and years and years,
and fold flat for storage. *I don't like the welded cone shaped cages
and the DIY kind made from concrete reinforcement wire are worse.

* *We were thinking of two closely spaced rows of fence (probably
vinyl), the maters between them. *Put up with steel fence posts.

* *Seems to me I heard that here last year. If you have anything pro or
con, let me know.

* *Jeff

http://www.extension.org/article/18647

*Cheap ******* Disease- Hide quoted text -

Hi Jeff, the Amish farm we patronize grows their 'Maters this way. and
they remove many of the leaves to cut down the need for water.There
are always loads of tomatoes on their vines, and no falling over!! I
hope to try this this year. We had a terrible garden year last summer.
Too cold and wet, and that damn tomato blight.
Speaking of tomato blight, I understood, the virus which causes it
comes out of the soil. If that is true, what do we do this year? Treat
the soil? Please don't say garden in another spot, that would be way
too much work for a couple of old farts.
Nan in DE