Old 13-02-2010, 10:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Stake And Weave To Support Tomatoes And Peppers

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 02:15:40 -0500, (EVP MAN)
wrote:

Has anyone ever tried the stake and weave to support tomatoes and bell
peppers? Looks like a pretty good system to me because you use a whole
lot less stakes which can be kind of expensive these days! I do know
that big growers in Florida use this system quite a bit on large scale
operations. I was just wondering how many home gardeners have tried it
and if so, how did it work out for you? Also, if you can recommend
any variation of this method I would like to hear about it. I will be
putting out around two dozen plants this spring and need to save some
money while also giving my plants some good support to keep them off the
ground. Any suggestions would be more than welcomed Thanks so much
in advance!

Rich

No, but I like the sturdier large tomato cages. If you have the
space, tomatoes are happy vining on the ground without support but you
might need straw to protect the fruit.